The main beach at San Blas is Playa Hermosa, which joins Playa El Borrego at the west end. These two beaches converge into a 1.5 mile (2.5-kilometer) stretch of powdery, pearl-colored sand that starts at the Calle Heroico Batallon (battalion) and is bordered by palm trees and tropical plants. Known for its excellent fishing conditions, the warm ocean water has midsize waves with a moderate underwater slope and rocks that extend out to sea. At the left end of the bay is an estuary that divides Playa Hermosa from Playa Las Islitas on the other side. The shell of a once glamorous Playa Hermosa Hotel, built in 1951 as a fishing resort for Hollywood, now sits abandoned next to the estuary.